The Cheap Electric Car Link List
Links to help save you money by driving an electric car
If you have a little more money to spend, look at the cars at the end of the list!
- Grassroots EV cars for sale
- Here, for sale, are some gasoline cars converted to electric. Don't be put off by all the 1980s cars here - the best conversion is a car with a good body but a poor engine. The car can then be obtained for next to nothing. Next, the engine and all associated parts are stripped out, and a new electric drivetrain installed.
- Used Electric Cars and Trucks
- Peruse some used electric vehicles here. Remember, electric vehicles are very reliable, so an old car can still serve you well. Be aware you may need to invest in a new battery pack (about $1000) for some of these.
- Convert your car to electric
- Here's an entrepreneur who will convert your car to electric for a very reasonable price.
- Ampmobile electric conversions
- Another place to get your car converted to electric.
- The EV Album at Austin EV
- Here you can look at the thousands of EV owners and their cars.
- Jerry's EV conversion
- Here's somebody's experience converting a car to electric.
- The Chevy Volt
- The Chevy Volt is an EV for the first 25 to 50 miles of driving, then it becomes a very efficient series gas-electric hybrid for an additional 350 miles of driving. Ideal if most of your daily driving is under 50 miles, but you still need to take that occasional long trip.
- The Nissan Leaf
- The first 100% electric mass-market car from a major auto manufacturer.
- The Mitsubishi MiEV
- The MiEV from Mitsubishi arguably has the most advanced EV battery on the market.
- New Electric Vehicle at Miles Automotive
- These are are NEVs, or 'Neighborhood Electric Vehicles' , low-speed electric cars that can't be taken on the freeway.
- E-Volks conversion kits
- Do it yourself! E-Volks has electric vehicle conversion kits for as little as $2280.
- New Leaf EV - Electric VW Bugs
- Convert your classic VW Bug (or an old Bug they supply) to a full electric vehicle.
- Wheego Electric Cars
- Wheego is an EV newcomer but is aggressively signing up dealers for their cars.
- Tesla long range all-electric cars
- Alas, here we have EVs which are not cheap but with awesome capabilities. The Tesla Roadster can out-accelerate a Ferrari, has a 130mph top speed, and gets about 220 miles per charge. The Model S has up to a 300-mile range.
- The Triac
- The Triac is another tiny EV which is expected to sell for a very reasonable sum.
- Electric Vehicles and Pollution
- Here are a number of studies (warning, this is a PDF file) showing the full well-to-wheels emissions impact of driving electric. The studies have been collected here by Sherry Boschert, author of "Plug-in Hybrids: The Cars that Will Recharge America."
- Study showing there's enough juice to charge EVs
- "Science Daily - A new study for the Department of Energy finds that "off-peak" electricity production and transmission capacity could fuel 84 percent of the country's 220 million vehicles if they were plug-ins."